So – you had all of the best intentions in the world come Jan 1 to live a healthier life. Well, time is now to quick kicking yourself in the rear end and realize that with the sugar addictions and the toxic chemicals in your body, how could you really get a fresh start unless you start from scratch. And that is what a good cleanse is all about. A New Year cleanse is a great way to jump start your health, and this can lead to more exercise, soul searching and just great health benefits by cleaning out the toxins and chemicals in your body.
The easiest way to start a cleanse is to do it on a Monday – because we all know the weekend holds too many temptations for most of us to stay away from. Over the next three days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) you will have a green smoothie for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and eat a healthy snack for both an Morning and Afternoon snack. My recommendation is going to be to use Shakeology, but if you don’t have any on hand I don’t want you to wait until it arrives to get started. So instead I want you to use raw spinach, mustard greens, celery, cucumbers, cabbage, fresh parsley, kale. and mint along with other yummies like apples, watermelon, carrots, etc.
To start your smoothie you want to mix your water heavy items first with one cup of water. So start with your apples, celery, cucumber, etc. Then you will add little bits at a time to keep a good consistency while blending. Meghan Telpner, a wonderful nutritionist and fellow blogger recommends the following:
Green Veggies: Choose 2 1/2 –3 cups
Kale, Collards, Beet Greens, Dandelion Greens, Parsley, Mint, Fennel, Avocado (a great fat!), Cucumber, Zucchini, Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Green Cabbage, Turnip Greens, Celery, Sprouts
Fruits and Sweet Veggies: 1 fruit/sweet veg or about 1-1/2 – 2 cups
Apples, Bananas, Pear, Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Pineapple, Papaya, Mango, Pomegranate, Cranberries, Kiwifruit, Figs, Watermelon, Lemon, Carrots, Sweet Potato, Beets
Fiber Additions: 1 tsp of one of these (just because I really want you to cleanse all of the toxins you can)
Shakeology Boost or SupraFiber
Optional Superfood Additions: 1 tsp – 1 Tbs of 3-4 of these
Raw Cacao, Flax Oil, Hempseed Oil (which is my favorite because of the wonderful omegas), Goji Berries, Dates, Coconut Oil, Coconut (fresh or dry), Hempseeds, Chia Seeds, Spirulina, Ginger, Cayenne, Stevia if you need it sweetened
Additional Optional Liquids
• Ice (if you like it cold)
• Vegetable Juice (100% veggie)
• Coconut Water (not to be confused with coconut milk)
• Nut or Seed Milk – I prefer Unsweetened Hemp Milk
• Herbal tea (such as peppermint or ginger tea)
• Food grade essential oils (lemon, peppermint, ginger)
Make sure you snacks are clean as possible. I mean wouldn’t it be silly to be doing a cleanse and filling up in between on unhealthy items. Yes, that would be silly. And at the end of the three days if you continue to replace one meal a day with your Shakeology or Green Smoothie and see the benefits you will achieve. In an independent 90-day study† participants who replaced at least one meal per day with Shakeology experienced some amazing health benefits.
Shakeology can help you:
• Lose weight
• Reduce cravings
• Increase energy and stamina
• Promote healthy digestion and regularity
As part of the recommended Shakeology program of replacing a meal with one shake per day, along with regular exercise and a balanced diet, participants experienced even more remarkable health improvements.
The study also showed that participants were able to: †
• Reduce total cholesterol by 30% on average
• Reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol by 38% on average
• Reduce cardiovascular risk ratio by 24% on average
• Reduce oxidative damage caused by free radicals on average by 45%, which can help decrease the risk for
developing degenerative conditions like heart disease, dementia, and arthritis.
Shakeology Ingredients includes:
• Protein & Amino Acids – Amaranth, Camu-Camu, Goji berry, Sacha Inchi, sprouted quinoa, whey protein to help the body build lean muscle, heal wounds, improve skin and hair. Support optimal brain function, mental clarity, improved mood, and reduced cravings.
• Antioxidants – “Red Super Foods” Açai berry, Acerola cherry, bilberry, Camu-Camu, Goji berry, grape seed extract, green tea, Maca root, pomegranate to help reduce oxidative damage in the body caused by free
radicals. Oxidative damage is a major cause for degenerative (aging) conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure (which can lead to stroke), dementia, and arthritis.
• Phytonutrients – “Green Super Foods” Barley grass, blue-green algae, Chia seeds, Chlorella, flax, grape seed extract, Hydrilla, spinach, Spirulina, sprouted quinoa, wheat grass to boost immunity, help fight diseases, can slow down the aging process, detoxify the body, and have alkalizing properties.
• Adaptogens Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, holy basil leaf, Maca root, Reishi mushroom, Schisandra, Suma root which are plant derived agents help to adapt the body or protect it from stress. Adaptogenic herbs are unique from other substances in their ability to balance endocrine hormones and the immune system.
• Prebiotics – Pea fiber, yacon root These promote better intestinal health. Stimulate growth of friendly bacteria for better digestion.
• Digestive Enzymes – Amylase, bromelain from pineapple, cellulose, lactase, lipase, papain from papaya, protease to help the body break down foods and increase absorption of nutrients.
So either way you go – do a cleanse and you’ll be feeling far less sugar dependent and chemically induced within three days.
† In a 90-day study, participants replaced one meal per day with Shakeology, ate a balanced diet and exercised moderately three times per week. Total cholesterol was reduced on average by 30% and LDL cholesterol reduced on average by 38%.