I love this recipe for those of you that are really in the spring party and picnic mood. A spinach dip is a huge hit at any party, and I don’t think for the most part you could change this up to be any better. This was shared back in July in the P90X newsletter.
The temperature is rising and the season for barbecues and picnics is in full swing. If you’re looking for something to bring to the neighborhood potluck, try this healthy twist on a party classic. Delicious with crudités or (for bonus presentation points) served in a hollowed-out round loaf of whole-grain bread.
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach, steamed until wilted
- 1 cup plain, fat-free yogurt, drained (coconut if vegan)
- 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened (Mae’s coconut cream cheese if vegan)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese, grated (Daiya Shredded Mozzarella Cheese if vegan)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Round loaf of whole-grain bread, hollowed out to make a bowl (optional)
- Medium bowl
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
Drain and squeeze all excess water from spinach; chop and set aside. In medium bowl, stir yogurt and cream cheese together until smooth. Add spinach, Parmesan cheese, garlic, scallions, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to yogurt/cream cheese mixture and mix well; refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 2 cups (8 1/4-cup servings).
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories Protein Fiber Carbs Fat Total Saturated Fat 51 5 g 1 g 5 g 1 g 1 g