I like salad, but they get boring quick. But if you have a “Taco Salad” it’s like a meal but still a salad so you get the best of both worlds. Right?
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup Organic Horizon sour cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Pastured lean ground bison (optional)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup Horizon shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
- Combine your salsa and sour cream in a large bowl, and place in the fridge until serving.
- Heat your canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in diced onion and garlic. Cook stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- If you eat meat add your bison and cook, stirring often and crumbling until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.